"Good drummers keep the rhythm but outstanding ones color it. Cappellato is an artisan, whether exploiting a persuasive hip hop beat or providing a melodious song-like solo where he carefully manipulates every inch of his kit." Mark F. Turner - Allaboutjazz USA
"Cappellato's writing talents as well as his percussion skills augurs well for his future as a bandleader. " Bruce Lindsay - Allaboutjazz USA
After two great nights at the legendary Jazz Club in Ferrara, the Tommaso Cappellato Orchestra arranged and conducted by Michele Corcella will perform at Vicenza Jazz Festival 2013 following Earth, Wind & Fire concert on Saturday May 11. For more details please visit http://www.vicenzajazz.org
Here's the line-up for that evening:
Michele Corcella (arranging/conducting)
Tommaso Cappellato (drums)
Alessia Obino (voice)
Nicola Fazzini (alto sax/flute)
Michele Polga (tenor sax)
Giovanni Masiero (baritone sax)
Gianluca Carollo (lead trumpet)
Mirko Cisilino (second trumpet)
Filippo Vignato (lead trombone)
Federico Pierantoni (second trombone)
Matteo Alfonso (piano)
Pasquale Mirra (vibraphone)
Marco Privato (bass)
Marco Catinaccio (percussion)
UPPERGROUND ORCHESTRA featuring Rabih Beaini on analog synthetizers-electronics, Piero Bittolo Bon on various reeds, Alvise Seggi on space bass and myself on drums, has been invited to perform at IRTIJAL 2013 the XIIIth International Festival of Experimental Music in Beirut, Lebanon. The performance will take place at Yukunkun, an alternative club and music venue located in Gemmayzeh in Beirut and focusing on a wide range of musical influences, on April 3 2013. To keep updated on upcoming performances and releases click "LIKE" on https://www.facebook.com/UppergroundOrchestra
NESSO G is one of my favourite co-leading projects, a double saxophone quartet completed by Francesco Bigoni and Michele Polga on tenor sax, Danilo Gallo on bass and myself at the drums. Last year we had the privilege of being invited to play at the very prestigious series OSTINATI 2012 organized by Centro D'Arte degli Studenti dell'Universita' di Padova, a cultural establishment that has been holding international jazz concerts for about 70 years! The performance took place on February 17 2012 at Cinema Teatro Torresino in Padova. Audio recording, video taping and editing by Mirko Di Cataldo. Mixing and mastering by Max Trisotto. Graphic design by Nicola Negri.
COMING UP IN BERLIN OCTOBER 25 2012
WEST GERMANY IS THE NAME OF THE VENUE!
Fall is usually a very exciting time for everybody. People had enough of vacationing and resting and are geared up for a new season of creation whatever their field is. That's exactly how I feel, except I could already use some holidays and we haven't even started! Following are some of the things worth mentioning that are lining up in the coming season. But besides music the biggest change I'm going through is quitting coffee and experiencing a whole new dimension... dude!
• Upperground Orchestra "The Eupen Takes" is officially out and great-selling worldwide.
Click on image to preview
• My brand new ensemble Astral Travel (a tribute to Spiritual Jazz and a dedication to the memory of Harry Whitaker) has already called the attention of a few international artists after the first couple of shows (e.g. Dego & Theo Parrish)
• The double saxophone quartet Nesso G (with Michele Polga, Francesco Bigoni & Danilo Gallo) will soon be releasing a full HD video of the concert held at Teatro Torresino in Padova for the series "Centro D'Arte - Ostinati 2012".
• The new series "Ombre Di Jazz" held at Risorta Osteria Del Refosco in Padova will soon start. Many great Italian jazz artists on the billboard. I proudly curated the series with an amazing team of artists and music lovers, Alberto Grinzato owner of the venue, Simone Settimo photographer, Paola Offelli graphic designer, Studio PRP publicity.
• Many exciting performances ahead with the following: Rabih Beaini & Bill Kouligas, Mark De Clive Lowe, Two Not One (Mirko Guerrini, Nico Gori & Stefano Senni), Fabrizio Puglisi, Nicole Mitchell, Simone Massaron, Richard Julian, Michele Polga, Fabrizio Bosso & more. Please check out the SHOWS section for details.